Sunday, October 6, 2013

DIY Engagement Gift

Recently, one of our family members got engaged. We couldn't be happier for them. They are both such great people and are just adorable together. So I wanted to make a little something to congratulate them.

Our nephew's fiancé is from Vietnam and I know very little about their traditions, so of course, I hopped onto Google. Several forums & articles later, I knew, among other things, that red was the color associated with weddings because it symbolizes good fortune, fertility, etc. (please don't ask me to cite any sources. They've all blended together).

There were several photo blocks on Pinterest, but as it turned out, our local craft store didn't stock those size blocks. Instead, I just sort of made my own using several ideas put together. The first step was painting the edges and bottom.

While the paint dried, I picked out some great pics of the two of them together and narrowed it down to four. I squared them off and added the white letters, the printed them as a draft copy to be sure that I got everything sized right.

Didn't I say they were adorable?

Because Mod Podge doesn't like inkjet printers, I printed my photos and brought them to Staples to have laser color copies made. I couldn't decide whether to do their names in black or red so I printed both and figured I'd decide later.

The next step was to cut them out and Mod Podge them onto the block. I used a piece of wax paper to keep it from sticking to the counter.

For the top, I put their names over the lyrics of Nat King Cole's "L.O.V.E."

A couple coats of Mod Podge for sealing.

Allow to dry for several hours.

Wrapped and ready for giving! (and yes, they loved it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment