Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Kiddie Tablecloth

A few days ago, I cleaned Keira's chalkboard table. Again. Not of chalk, but cheese. She had eaten her lunch there and, as any toddler, made a mess with the shredded cheese.


If you have one of these tables and have let your little eat on it, you know it's not fun to get crumbs (or shredded cheese) out of it. It popped into my head to make a tablecloth for it. I wanted to make one that would fit nice & snug or Keira would take it off and who knows where it would end up.

I started with a plastic tablecloth. My sister had this one hanging around but you can get them almost anywhere for a few dollars. First, I spread it out to see how much big the tablecloth was.

Since the tablecloth was more than double what I needed, I cut it in half and flipped it upright for pinning the corners.

I made sure to pin it a just a bit out from the corner so that when I flipped it plastic out, I'd be able to get it on and off easily, but not have it too loose.

Someone decided to be cranky while I was pinning.

After pinning the corners, I decided on how long I wanted the sides and trimmed off the excess. (On a side note, I wouldn't recommend using your good sewing scissors for this for fear of dulling them on the plastic. I used my regular kitchen scissors instead.)

I serged the corners and all along the bottom edge.

Then I flipped it to the right side and put it on the table. Perfect.

Keira likes it as well. When she saw it, she said "Look at table. I'm gonna drink this". And then did this. I love her imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment