Friday, July 12, 2013

The Boys' Birth Story


On Wednesday afternoon, Doug & I were sitting in our living room, discussing our lack of plans for the holiday. I had spent the morning cleaning the house and Doug had gone fishing with my dad. Now that I wasn't in constant motion, I noticed baby B wasn't being as active as he usually was. I laid on the couch, had some water & fruit snacks, and waited. After a couple hours with no increase, I called my OB's office & was told to head in to L & D for monitoring. 


We knew the drill from already having done this plenty of times so we arranged for my mother-in-law to watch Keira for a few extra hours.

We arrived at the hospital just before 5 pm and I was hooked up to the monitors. After a while, it was clear that there was plenty of movement (I just wasn't feeling it) and their heartbeats were fine. The monitor did show a few contractions so they checked my cervix and it was totally closed. They thought I might have a UTI, so a sample was sent to the lab. It came back that I was dehydrated and I was hooked up to an IV for fluids. 

Before sending us home, the dr wanted to see an ultrasound done. Baby A got an 8/8, but baby B only got 6/8. His diaphragm wasn't moving that they could see and while its not uncommon at 34 weeks, he did lose points. Because of that, the dr wanted to monitor us overnight. We figured better safe than sorry and I'd be home the next morning. Doug went home and had just stretched out for sleep when his phone rang.

After he had left the hospital, I got settled in and was going to attempt sleep. Just about midnight, to my surprise, my water broke. Needless to say, I had a mild panic. 34 weeks was definitely earlier than we had planned for. I called Doug to tell him he needed to come back and then my mom to pickup Keira.

By the time Doug arrived, not only was I feeling those contractions, but they were getting really intense. He got suited up in scrubs and I got prepped in the OR. Being able to feel everything during the surgery was an entirely different experience. Soon enough, just after 2 am, we heard one newborn crying and then another. They were wrapped up, brought for us to see and then moved to the special care nursery. 

I was brought to the recovery room and we waited for the meds to wear off. After a few more hours, I got wheeled to a room. Since I wasn't able to get out of the bed and I had been up for over 24 hours, I tried to get some sleep.

After being checked, getting meds and a short nap, we went to the special care nursery where I got to hold my boys for the first time. They were doing great. Both doing well with their breathing and maintaining temps. 




Meet our boys. Lucian Jack, born at 2:09am, 5 pounds, 1 ounce and 18 inches long & Remy Logan, born at 2:10 am, 5 pounds, 5 ounces and 18 inches long. 

1 comment: