Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Virginia Vacation, Part 1

A few weeks ago, Doug and I decided to take a much needed break. We (ok, I) figured this would be our last getaway for some time and we should take advantage of it while we can. I have very little, make that NO desire to travel with 3 littles that need diapers, bottles, sippy cups, etc. That's a whole suitcase right there. Minimum. So with the ok from my Dr, we got on the road shortly after bedtime and headed south. Keira slept almost the whole 10 hour drive, waking only once when we stopped for gas. I love taking pictures of her when she's asleep. She's just so peaceful.

My aunt & uncle built their retirement home a few years ago, right on a lake, and we had yet to visit them. Seeing family and getting to relax with this view? Count me in.

The weather in New England just before we left was in the 30's & 40's. The weather when we got to Virginia was in the 70's and 80's. We were more than happy with that.

We spent the next 9 days relaxing and doing fun stuff. Doug and my uncle spent time doing 'guy' stuff while my aunt took me & Keira into the city. I got to visit a Hobby Lobby for the first time. While it was awesome, our bank account is very happy there isn't one nearby. We also took in the Children's Museum of Richmond in Short Pump. It's geared more towards the toddler age so it was perfect for Keira. She loved it!


One of the really great things about it was the size and openess. It was big enough for the kids to run yet small enough that the parents didn't have to get up and move every two minutes because you could see almost everything at once.

Rock climbing wall? Mastered in two tries with a little help from Daddy.

She is obsessed with slides. Last year she had no trouble sitting up while sliding but this year, she seems to keep laying back. No sooner was she down, then she was going back up.

I'm not sure if it was Keira or Doug that had more fun with the big foam blocks, but I love her face.





There was an indoor train that we got to ride as well. I thought it was a little jerky on the corners, but none of the kids seemed to mind it.


There was an art room with all sorts of craft supplies, from markers to egg crates to paints.

The "sand" pit was actually tiny pieces of rubber. Very ingenious.

What day would be complete without a dinner time mess? Keira doesn't normally get dressing with her salad. This helps to reaffirm me of why.

And to end the night...cookies!


Since it was the first of the warm weather, it was also time to get the deck ready. Keira had a blast helping. That girl loves water.

On the weekend, my cousins came in the their homes to visit with us as well. Keira had a ton of fun playing with her cousins.

A plane flew overhead so there was a pause in the playing to scope it out.

I can't imagine this kid could get any more relaxed, can you?

Part 2, coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment