Saturday, February 2, 2013

A New Level of Knowledge

It's been 5 days since I was told we were having twins.

I'm still kind of in shock. I'm trying to keep my mind busy with practicalities so I don't get too overwhelmed but it's not easy. Luckily, friends and family are helping. I have a couple twin mommy friends who have shared info and encouragement. (Thanks again, ladies. You're awesome.) I haven't Google anything twin related yet, either. Which, let's face it, is amazing for me.

The only thing I've really glanced at (and I do mean glanced. I still haven't read the entire article) is a Wikipedia article here. I always thought there were only 2 kinds of twins, identical or fraternal and that's where my knowledge ended. There is also Degree of Separation. There are 4 possibilities and they each have different risk levels.

Here's a basic diagram from that page that shows what I'm talking about.

Based on the ultrasound photos that I've already had, we know they are not conjoined. Further than that, I have no idea. I have an appointment with a Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) doctor next week for another ultrasound so that we can find out more information and determine a plan of care (how often I'll have check-ups and ultrasounds).

This is honestly as far as I've gotten. I'm not really thinking about it further because I really don't know anymore. Not 'borrowing trouble' as the phrase goes. Instead, I've been busying myself by figuring out what items we can make due with 1 of and what we'll need 2 of. Obviously, 2 car seats are a necessity, but for a while we can get by with 1 crib. We will need a lot more cloth diapers. But we've got plenty of time to worry about that before they get here.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! All the twin mommies I know go into a state of shock, but they say it's double the love and joy too!

    ReplyDelete