Monday, June 18, 2012

Reusing Coffee-mate bottles

Do you use liquid creamer? Know someone who does? Have you been on Pinterest?

I don't use creamer but some of my family do and they were nice enough to save a couple bottles for me. I saw this on Pinterest (where else, right?) and wanted to try it.


It works great. The small bottle is perfect for holding goldfish & oyster crackers (all we've tried so far). The tops open and close super easy. It fits great in diaper bags & cup holders. It won't break when it's dropped or thrown. What more could you ask for?


Another thing I like is that you have to give it a little shake for the snacks to come out. Basically, they won't pour all over the floor if the get knocked over.



Pinterest also has ideas for pancake making. Using condiment bottles for pouring and such.




This morning I had made a batch of crepes. Ok, I made 2 batches. I had to. Keira ate 5 herself (they are her favorite, after all), then Doug finished them off. Not that there was many, I had only planned to make a small batch. I made more so I could eat and brought the rest to my friend when we visited. Of course, it was later when I decided I wanted to see how well the bottle idea worked so I got everything back out. Including a large Coffee-mate bottle.
 
I decided to see how well shaking would mix the ingredients. There were a few clumps more than normal, but otherwise, not bad. I will probably use this idea a good amount as we really love crepes in our house.


It was really easy to pour into the pan (when not trying to take a picture) and no drippy mess. Also, I can make what we will eat and put the remaining batter in the fridge until the next morning. The large bottle holds 4 cups, so for crepes, that's a good amount.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the creative hints! Now, instead of feeling badly that I'm cluttering the earth, I can actually give things a second life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use empty small mouth bottles and pretty beads n wire to make hummingbird feeders. Just had to go online to Amazon and buy Hummingbird feeder tubes. I used Gatorade bottles last year and snapped them into a hole of the lid from a butter tub. filled the bowl with food, put small holes on the lid and "viola"- feeder! (the Gatorade bottle will be upside down)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are a crafter - they are great to mix paint. I make homemade Mod Podge and keep it in a small one - pours out easily. When I come home from my winters in FL - I use them to bring home any leftover milk so I don't have a huge container in the cooler. Didn't think to do the same with juice - I threw it out - will remember that next time.

    ReplyDelete