Monday, March 19, 2012

Sweatshirt Makeover

I found this pic on Pinterest and decided  to attempt repurposing an old sweatshirt.

While I feel that I should have brought the sides in more (which I think I might do later) and spaced the buttons further apart, it didn't turn out too bad.

 Step 1. Find a sweatshirt or material to use & measure out your pieces/cuts. Since I used one of Doug's old sweatshirts (the grey one), I used one of mine (blue) to judge how wide the pieces should be.

 Since the sweatshirt was grey, I used a silver sharpie to mark it. That way, if it bled through, it wouldn't be noticeable. Since the sweatshirt didn't have an waist cuff, I decided to add a mock one.

I found it easier just to lay the sleeves on top of each other instead of measuring.

Make sure you do both sleeves.

And cut along the lines. Since the sweatshirt was wider than I normally wear & the sleeves longer, I decided it would be easier tojust ut them off, take out the extra and reattach.

I pinned the mock waist and stitched that first.

Then I pinned the and stitched the front cuts.

 This was done over a period of time and had several interruptions, from retrieving my supplies that seemed to wander off to dealing with the smell emanating from below my ironing board.



Next up was reducing the sleeves.

Shortening them and reattaching wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, but it definitely needed patience and quiet to make sure I put them on right. Read: after Keira was in bed. I also noticed that when I would turn the armholes, occasionally a pin would loosen. I didn't want her getting them so I made sure I kept a sharp eye on how many I used and made sure they were all accounted for.


After I trimmed off the extra material .

Then I attached the buttons and made the buttonholes. The top one was mainly to hide the old logo, but I'm considering opening a button hole for it.

There you have it. It was actually pretty easy, though I would change a couple things I did if I made another.

 On to my next project: a Butterfly dress for Keira. I have a really cute froggy print that I can't wait to use.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, it turned out great!! I wanted to try this but I'm far too lazy with my sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for doing the tutorial - I find it so much easier to follow these, particularly when there's lots of pictures and cute babies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such a great job on this! I can't wait to see the dress too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're awesome! I need to try this now!

    ReplyDelete