Thursday, October 20, 2011

A project finished

Yesterday I was asked if I was going to be making one of the items I had 'pinned'. I responded that I hoped to but had no idea when. Well, my shame in having so many things 'pinned' and not yet done or tried pushed me to attempt it much sooner than I thought I would. Today. And amazingly enough, I finished it. Including pics.

It's a scrap tutu. I do think it's cute but overall, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I had pinned a scrap tutu from an Etsy seller and used a no-sew tutu tutorial to make a similar one. I definitely don't like working with t-shirt material. That was a big pain. I think with a better material, I'd feel better about it.

Anyhow, here's how it went:

I dug into our rag bin and found a couple item to use for scraps. I took the elastic from a pair of shorts, which also served as the solid blue in the skirt.


Stitched the elastic together. After I had a few of the scraps on the elastic, I realized I had made it way too big for Keira so I resewed it smaller. I slid the scraps together so I didn't have to take them off to resew.

Here's my piles of scraps. They were a few different lengths and thicknesses. I ended up having to trim a few of them after the skirt was finished because they were just too much longer than the rest.

Here's the first scrap tied on. Here's a link to a tutorial on how to tie it on better than what I can explain.

And here's the first row of scraps.

Since I didn't think that was full enough. I added scraps sort of on top and in between trying not to stretch out the elastic too much.

It looks better in person than on the hanger. For some reason it looks a lot more uneven than it really. 
  
You'll have to wait until tomorrow for a picture of Keira wearing it. She's asleep and since she boycotted her morning nap, I'm quite thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment