Friday, October 28, 2011

Friday Favorite - Cloth Diapers Part 2

Here's more info on cloth diapers starting right from the beginning. Literally.

This is a Lil'Joey by Rump-a-Rooz. They fit preemies and newborn. They are All-in-Ones. You'll notice it's all stitched together, no pocket. These go on and off like a disposable but when drying take the longest because you can't separate the parts. They also have AIO's in larger sizes. These are usually the most expensive option.

To give you an idea of how teeny these are, a dollar bill (note the edges are curled).

Next up come the prefolds. This is usually the cheapest option. First you have the prefold itself. They come in different sizes.

Some people choose to use fasteners such as the Snappi. In my experience, it was more annoying than anything and I found a method of folding and using the cover to hold the prefold that I preferred.

They work similar to the clips on an Ace bandage. Using the little plastic teeth, you fasten one side, then stretch it across the belly and fasten the other side. Pull the middle piece down and fasten at the crotch. (yes, I diapered a slipper, size 5 if you're wondering).


Next come the covers. I chose one-size covers, but they also have fitted. (I have no experience with wool so you will need to look elsewhere for info on that). The one-size allows you to adjust length as your baby grows.

The two choices are aplix (velcro) and snaps. I've been told that snaps will outlast velcro. Since we've only been cloth diapering for a bit more than 7 months, I can't confirm or deny. Since we plan on having another one after Keira, I figured why not. Diapers with velcro will have a laundry tab for attaching the tab so that it doesn't stick to everything else in the wash.
Other than one-size, there are fitteds. Fitteds are usually listed as X-Small, Small, Medium , Large & X-Large. Here are a Small & X-Small Fuzzibuns.

Next up are the All in 2's. I'm not a fan myself, but I know of others who prefer them to pockets, so each to their own. Basically, instead of stuffing the insert inside, it is placed on top of the shell and usually held in pace with a couple snaps. You ay also note that these Bottombumpers are side fastening. I didn't find any notable difference between side and front fastening.

Some pocket diapers, like this Blueberry
and this Bummis Easy Fit, are stitched in. This prevents the insert from getting lost and makes for slightly easier stuffing.

Different brands tend to style their fasteners differently than others. See the snap patterns on this BumGenius (left) and Happy Heiny's. While the Happy Heiny's would be more secure for a diaper Houdini, they aren't the swiftest when trying to diaper a wiggler.

Some diapers come is a small and large versions of one-size. Like these Swaddlebees
and these Thirsties. Thirsties are my personal go to diaper. I love them. We have never had a leak or blowout in them. Not to say others haven't. That's the trick. Finding the ones that fit your baby. What fits a baby with chunky thighs might be too loose on a skinny minny. Anyway, a few of my fave points on the Thirsties: 2 sizes. I found many of the one-size diapers too bulky (for me) for a newborn. The Size 1 is smaller so there's not so much bulk. And an extra gusset around the leg, which is awesome for holding in poo, especially breastfeeding poop. Trust me, some days, I don't know how it's contained it, but it did. (Gussets are also found on the Rump-a-Roos as well).
Previously, you could only get Thirsties with velcro, but a couple months ago, right as I needed to move Keira into Size 2's, they came out in snaps. Yay!




Now, be very careful with this next piece of info: Etsy. You can find an insane amount of diapers on Etsy. Like these. It can be very addicting.



And for those of you thinking it's loads to carry in the diaper bag, not so. I've got 6 diapers in there, plus wipes, wetbag, etc. I tossed some keys on top so you could see that the bag itself isn't huge.

Stay tuned for cloth diaper post #3 - why.

No comments:

Post a Comment