Thursday, October 27, 2011

Caramel Pumpkin Pie Cake

I told myself  I'd just have one bite to make sure it came out ok. I managed to put the fork down after about 5. Then I had another when I walked by it. Then again.

After posted a picture elsewhere, I was asked for the recipe. This does require a microwave and a fluted (bundt) stoneware pan. If you don't have one of those, skip to the next recipe.

Ok, from here we assume you have a microwave and a fluted (bundt) stoneware pan. 
Ingredients: 1 box of spice cake mix; 1 can pumpkin (not pie mix); 3 eggs; pumpkin pie spice (optional). I decided to add caramel as well.

In a bowl (obviously), mix the eggs and pumpkin. Add in the cake mix and the spice. The recipe actually had an optional 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. I just shook a bunch in. I added the melting caramels but it would have been better if caramel ice cream topping was used. The caramel only melted a little and then re-solidified. :p Still yummy but not the caramel gooey-ness I was looking forward to.

The next step is to "grease" the pan with vegetable oil using a pastry brush. Then spoon the cake batter in. ADd 1/2 the tub of frosting to the top in globs. (It will sink down during cooking and make a sort of glaze. I promise, it really does.)

Put it in the microwave on high for 12-15 minutes (depends on your wattage).


Do something else. We had naked time.

When it's done, leave it in the microwave as-is for another 15 minutes. Take it out of the microwave and cover with a plate until cook (don't flip it yet, trust me) When it is totally cool, flip it over and it should come out of the pan easily. I was a bit impatient.


It still tastes awesome.

Now, if you don't have either a microwave or fluted (bundt) stoneware pan, you can make this recipe instead. I first made it years ago for Thanksgiving and it was fantastic. To be honest, if I remember it right, it was better than the one I just made. Here's a pic first. I used flower plans and staggered the 'petals' as I stacked the layers.



And now the recipe: (yes, copy & pasted)


1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
1 can  (15 oz.) pumpkin, divided
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup  oil
4 eggs
1-1/2 tsp.  pumpkin pie spice, divided
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup  powdered sugar
1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
1/4 cup  caramel ice cream topping
1/4 cup chopped PLANTERS Pecans


HEAT oven to 350°F.
BEAT cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, milk, oil, eggs and 1 tsp. spice in large bowl with mixer until well blended. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round pans.
BAKE 28 to 30 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 min. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
BEAT cream cheese in medium bowl with mixer until creamy. Add sugar, remaining pumpkin and spice; mix well. Gently stir in COOL WHIP. Cut each cake layer horizontally in half with serrated knife; stack on serving plate, spreading cream cheese filling between layers. Drizzle with caramel topping just before serving; top with nuts. Refrigerate leftovers.

Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment